This homemade carrot jam is delicious, very easy to make, tastes like apricot jam, but only contains carrots, lemon and sugar.
- 1 ½ pounds (750 grams) of carrots
- 2 ⅓ cups (450 grams) granulated sugar
- 2 lemons (zest of 1 lemon, juice of 2 lemons)
- Peel and grate 1 carrot to a total of ½ cup (50 grams) of zest, then set aside. Cut and peel the rest of the carrots into slices.
- Put the sliced carrots in a saucepan, add enough water to cover them and cook them for 10 minutes or until they are soft, then drain the water with the help of a strainer.
- Puree the cooked carrots with a hand or immersion blender. If necessary, put the carrot puree in a fine strainer and remove excess water.
- Weigh out 2 cups (400 grams) of the carrot puree and discard the rest (keep it to add to soups or stews or use it in some cream).
- Put the carrot puree, grated carrot and sugar in a large saucepan. Add the granulated sugar and, stirring constantly, bring to the boil for 5 minutes. Defoam if it becomes foamy.
- Let it cool a little and add the lemon zest and juice. Pour the carrot jam into hot jars, screw on the lids, store in a cool, dry place and use within one year.
By the way, i got this idea of homemade carrot jam by talking to my friend Toon, he’s also got ideas for cooking recipes.